Monday 22 October 2012

The Fear


“And so all the trees forgot to wake
They were dropping all their leaves
On the ground below them
But here
Closer every year
So near
The fear is coming clear
My dear
The fear is here”
  -The Fear, Travis



Five months, I have carried this new life inside me since the Jubilee weekend and yet it feels no closer to me than the halcyon memories of a summer bursting with national pride. I feel him move inside me, the rolling tide of him surging against the confines of my womb, already testing boundaries and yet I am finding it hard to feel for him, to feel anything past the lump of fear that grows as quickly as he does.

Him, he, my son, my brave new future with two young boys. A life created in love and passion relegated for now to the dark depths within the rolling flesh of my stomach. This tiny life, at around a pound in weight has me terrified. Not just for how I will manage with two children, but for how the next few months will go. Will I fail him like I did his brother, will my body betray us.

Will I spend hours and hours, days and days laid strapped to a monitor, listening for every little hitch in his heartbeat, a heartbeat that now runs fierce and fast, full of life. Will I await for other people, people more knowledgeable than I to decide our fate, to tell me when my body is no longer able to support us. My body replaced by a plastic box, tubes not gritty, null placenta. My maternal need no longer able to surround and support him, will he be an alien in a spaceship so distant from me.

So many worries, they fall like the golden, burning autumn leaves. I nurse them in the glooming fog, nurture them in the dampening mulch. These fears are the cold coming winter, so against the warmth of my fecund body, yet I grow them as I do my son. I cling to the fear, the worry is something familiar, something I have some control over when everything else is waiting. 

3 comments:

  1. I am in awe, what beautiful writing Leila, you should be very proud of how well your articulating this special time, and I so hope that this time things are much better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written and bought back so many feelings, very touching xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leila, your writing is so gorgeous and poetic. I hope this baby has an easier journey, goodness knows you deserve it! I know what you mean about the worry being familiar and clinging to it inspite of it's awful nature. The unknown can be terrifying, but I hope your unknown is very good indeed! x

    ReplyDelete